Saturday 7 April 2007

Marks And Sparks And The Wonderful New Computer System

Marks and Spencers, the backbone of British society have a delightful (roll eyes) new computer system and if you wish to try it out then feel free but you are likely to face problems if you try and order over the internet.

I regularly order over the internet with M&S and last week tried out the new system. You now have an account and it looks much the same as Next or Debenhams and you log in to your own account which should make life easier? There is also a system in place which means that you should not be allowed to order items for next day delivery if they are not in stock. In the past you would pay the cost of next day delivery only to find the item would not turn up and frustrating phone calls would ensue which M&S would have to deal with. Now I admit M&S DO deal with the issues that arise and either give free delivery for the items that turn up late or offer some other form of solution. Well done to M&S on that level, but it should not have to happen in the first place.
The new system has been put in place to stop people from ordering items when they are not in stock. It should be physically impossible for a customer to purchase what is not there but I MANAGED TOO!

Last week I ordered a variety of things and one of the items was a parting gift for a teacher at my daughter's school. She is the Head of Year and as my daughter is leaving I wanted to be able to say thank you from us as a family to this great teacher.....But alas the gift did not turn up. When I placed the order originally, the computerised system told me that only ONE of the items was not in stock until but would be available on THURSDAY and so I decided to pay the extra cost of having two deliveries and had that one item delivered on Thursday and the other 7-8 items delivered on Tuesday or so I thought?
Delivery

Tuesday came and went but nothing arrived? I emailed M&S;- "Where is my order?" I asked and requested that ALL the order came through on Thursday without any delivery cost attatched. I was sent TWO emails both stating that I would have my order on Thursday however no confirmation of no delivery cost. I telephoned Marks and Spencers on Wednesday to ensure the emails were correct and was told not to worry, all was fine and NO delivery cost was attatched.
Thursday came and went with no order.

I telephoned M&S on Thursday evening and was apologised too and was given the excuse (for the second time) that it was to do with the new computer system and I should not have been able to order the items as they were not in stock. That was not what I was being told. When I phoned on Tuesday I was cut off and that had angered me, but apart from that the staff had tried their best to deal with the cock up but it should not have happened in the first place.

I said that I will be writing a letter of complaint as it is not acceptable and I have been offered a £10 voucher which is apparently on my account for if I wish to use it. I have tried to see if this is the case but can not work out how I view it?

Maybe it would be a good idea to keep clear of Marks and Spencer's internet ordering for a little while until they get their new computerised system sorted? Unless of course you want trouble!




No comments: