Saturday 7 April 2007

UK Government Being Sneaky Again

What I am about to talk about is a service which at the moment is free to all who need it via the NHS and unless you need it you would not know it existed. Problem is that the our dear government our changing the rules and therefore it is going to be harder and more embaressing to get hold of these products.

The items I am talking about catheters, stoma care products (for people who have lost their bowels and have had major bowel surgery leading to a temporary ileostomy). I know it is not a nice subject but if nobody talks about it then nobody will know about this!


At present, those needing products for the above are generally patients who have spinal conditions or who are elderly. The items are easily purchased by telephoning a hotline once a month or whenever needed to a regular number and then whatever is needed is disecretetly sent by post within the next 48 hours. There's a variety of reasons why the government are looking at this matter and one is that one of the supplying companies in Ireland was defrauding the goverment. Does this mean all of them are? I am sure lots of fraud goes on but does that mean that disabled and elderly should suffer? No!

The real reason has got to be cost. The government wants to centralize services to the GP and pharmacy and it states that these items can be purchased via the pharmacy. I do not believe this is going to be as easy as it sounds. What the government also does not understand is that patients are used to particular brands and it may be difficult to change; allergic reactions in these circumstances could lead the patient to be hospitalized. Another factor is that not every pharmacy provides a delivery service and you can only use this if you fulfil their strict list of rules. Another thing is that GPs are overrun with red tape and papper work and do they really need this?

Is it really as cost effective as the government thinks because I for one know that I will have a problem. My bladder does not work as well as it should and so I HAVE to use catheters, I have no choice. I also have to have them when I order them and I cannot wait for them. My pharmacy always goes for the cheapest product whatever the prescription item. I don't want the cheapest - I what I am used too!

I did not even realise that the goverment had passed this through until the company who supplied my catheters told me about it. I know the reason they are concerned is because they are likely to lose money. I am worried because I like what I use and I am used to it. For those wishing to complain, write to your local MP or contact me and I can give you a draft letter if that helps. The more voices speak out, the louder we are heard.

No comments: